Join our certified, experienced and caring dog trainers as they provide classes that provide a fun and enriching way to build a relationship with your dog and prevent behavior problems before they start.
All classes are held at the ARL’s Boston headquarters. View the Boston shelter page for directions.
Free parking is available.
Proceeds from dog training classes benefit the animals at the Animal Rescue League of Boston.
Cost: Unless otherwise noted, classes are held one hour per week for six weeks and cost $150. There is a reduced rate for dogs adopted from the ARL within the previous six months and for Boston Veterinary Care clients. Call for further details.
Dog Training Classes
- Puppy Kindergarten Ages 8-20 weeks. Your dog will learn sit, down, stay, coming when called and walking on a leash. Please note: week one is an orientation so please leave your puppy safely at home.
- Advanced Puppy Ages 4-11 months. Intermediate puppy will help your puppy continue to learn while still having the opportunity to socialize.
- Good Manners Ages 5 months and up. Your dog will learn to stay, down, recall, heel, and polite manners. Please note: week one is orientation so please leave your dog safely at home.
- Advanced Good Manners Ages 5 months & up. Requirement: must have completed Puppy Kindergarten or Good Manners class. Issues covered include: ‘go to your place,’ training with distractions, attention, body language, how to play and much more. Your dog will accompany you to all six classes.
- Real Life Scenarios Ages one year & up. Limited to 6 dogs per class. Requirements: Good Manners, Advanced Good Manners, or Advanced Puppy. Real Life Scenarios will take you and your dog through a wide range of real life situations. Teach your dog to down on its mat while you eat dinner and greet a large variety of people politely.
- Agility For Fun Ages 6 months & up. Limited to 6 dogs per class. Requirements: Good Manners or Advanced Good Manners completed. This class is designed for dogs who know all of their basic commands with distractions. Help your dog learn off-leash commands while they maneuver through obstacle courses. Dogs must be people and dog-friendly.
- Good Citizen For owners who would like to obtain an AKC good citizen certificate for their canine friend. The test will be administered on the last day of class.
- Sniffing for Fun: (Advance level class) Dogs must attend Good Manners or Puppy Kindergarten class before attending this class. Great for all ages – even seniors! Dogs have an amazing sense of smell why not tap into their natural ability to hunt? The class is to have fun with your dog and build their natural ability to hunt and find food, objects and toys. Its a great way to build your dog’s confidence and burn energy mentally and physically.
- Loose-Leash Walking Workshop Ages 6 months & up. Requirement: must have completed Puppy Kindergarten and Good Manners class. Need help getting your dog to walk nicely on a leash? We’ll teach you the techniques and advise on equipment you may need so you can teach your dog to walk nicely on leash. Loose-Leash Walking is three, 1-hour sessions for you and your dog. Please, no leash-reactive, dog-aggressive or people-aggressive dogs.